Who can believe the year 2020 is here? A new year in a new decade.. talk about monumental! It still feels like the 90’s were just 10 years ago.
I guess that makes Emma old which in turn makes me… well, we don’t need to go there. Lol!
Whenever I approach a new year I try to remain optimistic yet also realistic when looking at making changes. One thing I don’t want to do is treat 2020 like it’s life changing. Too much stress for that.. It’s just another beautiful year full of great opportunities, new beginnings and goals.
January happens to be my favorite month. It may or may not be because the 22nd is my birthday. ;) But in all honesty – for me it’s an introspective month. It’s a great reminder that change is in my control and a clean slate is possible. Even if 2019 was the worst year of your life.. just moving to a new number can make all the difference in the world to get going with goals and life changes.
Now, let’s recap 2019. For me, I loved it. I had a couple of setbacks here and there (thanks to my surgery!) but overall, it was a fabulous year.
Some of my highlights included:
- Traveling with friends & family more: cruising the Mediterranean with our good friends, leaf peeping with Emma in Vermont, hitting Hawaii with my family during Christmas, a family getaway with Jeff & Emma in Cancun and joining Jeff on his numerous business trips abroad.
- Losing Weight – I lost 16 lbs this year and have never felt better.
- Growing my business tenfold – Emma and I have never been so busy & we were fortunate to be able to work with some dream brands this year. I’m SO excited to grow our business even further in different outlets next year.
- Accomplished a few large home projects – I really wanted to paint my home and finally did so this summer! I’ve fallen in love with how everything looks. We also added a fire pit and completed the backyard. So happy with how it turned out.
- Removed my breast implants – I’ve wanted to do this for years and I’m so happy with the results! I’m back to the real me and I’m just find with that. :) (More on this to come)
Of course, there were a few things that I didn’t accomplish.
- Getting Fit – I definitely lost weight but wanted to get stronger. I kind of avoided the gym for the most part taking up walking and running instead. In the future I need to lift more weights for bone strength.
- Read more – I literally didn’t read one book last year, yikes! (I’m embarrassed to even admit this)
- Sleep more – I slept less last year than I ever have. I only got around 4-6 hours of sleep a night. Ugh
- Worry Less – What can I say.. I’m a worry wart at heart. I think too much about work, worry about Maggie when I travel, (why can’t I speak a dog language?) I miss my Mom and think about her all the time, and don’t get me started about Jeff and Emma when they’re away. ;)
Meanwhile, Emma didn’t love 2019 & she didn’t hate it. (Love how she said this..) She had the opportunity to accomplish a lot of things that she loved but also felt like she didn’t accomplish many of the things she had set out to do. It happens.
Things Emma did accomplish…
- Read more. Emma read over 30 books last year. She really accomplished her goal of reading more!
- Travel more & get out of her comfort zone – Emma traveled so much last year and explored new countries and cultures. She explored 7 countries last year! I was so impressed!
- Became more organized with work – She 100% organized her work in better ways this year.
Things she didn’t accomplish.
- Lose weight – Unfortunately she fell short of this goal but plans to tackle it this year.
- Start a new hobby – Emma really wanted to kick start a new hobby but never got around to it. She plans to begin this goal with cooking to see if she likes it.. her second choice is knitting!
- Make new friends – She was so busy with her life last year that she only made new friends when she traveled abroad. Unfortunately all her new friends live in different countries.. Emma would really like to make more close friends nearby! She’s already signed up for a couple of meetup groups that she’s excited about.
I have quite a few goals this year that I hope to accomplish! Some carry over from 2019 while others are new. :)
My 2020 Goals:
- Read at least 12 books – one a month! (just trying to be realistic) Hopefully I can tag along with Emma’s book club. I’ve already started reading January’s book & I’m loving it. Click here to see more info about our book club.
- Eat less meat – For both health reasons and ethical reasons. Super hard for me however because Jeff is so good at grilling.
- Travel to new countries – I have MANY places on my ‘travel bucket list’ that I’d like to visit. Once I know more about my 2020 travels, I’ll share on the blog!
- Sleep more – Like I mentioned before, I’d love to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night.
- Be more budget conscience – Jeff & I have quite a few long-term goals that we would like to accomplish.. so budgeting is extremely important for us in 2020!
- Make some new true friends – I have some great friends who I love and have known for years. With work being so busy I haven’t had time to branch out as much as I would like.
- Worry Less – I had to include this again!! ;)
- Be more organized between Partnership/Collaboration shoots – Last year my beautiful garage became a huge pile of everything between collaborations. This made entering my home a little stressful so this year I’m vowing to put things away so I don’t trip over ‘stuff’ in my garage. Sounds simple but you would have died trying to walk through my garage during December. Not kidding!! Lol
& Emma’s 2020 Goals:
- Lose Weight – Emma would still love to lose some weight this year!
- Read 60 books this year – This seems like a huge goal, but she’s already read almost 10 and it’s only been 6 days into the new year! She’s a huge reader and loves it.
- Continue to Travel – Emma would also like to travel again this year, to at least 2 new countries. She’s heading to Costa Rica in March to start things off.
- Workout – She’s looking forward to heading to the gym more often this year to work on her health.
Ultimately, as you can see I love to set goals. They keep me in line and whether I accomplish all or not, I find them motivating and something that gives me hope and keeps me positive.. especially during the long dark winter days.
Do you like to set goals for yourself at the beginning of each year?
If so, what are your goals for 2020?
Cheers to a beautiful new year for all of us!