Jeff and I are heading to Europe at the end of this week for a two week vacation and we’re so excited! We’re redoing our 1st trip to Europe that we originally took back when we were first married.. How fun is that? Of course this time around we’ll be staying at different places. Our first trip was about as budget as a 23 and 26 year old could afford but we still had the time of our lives.
It’s our 34th Anniversary this year so we have reason to celebrate and Italy has become one of our favorite countries!
I’ve shared some of my travel tips as a former flight attendant before but I’ve received so many questions on what I pack when I’m heading out that I thought I’d share a comprehensive list of my must haves!
First and foremost, I like to bring along a quality suitcase. The last thing anyone needs to deal with is a broken wheel/zipper on your trip. While I love my Delsey luggage, TravelPro is another excellent budget friendly option when it comes to roller suitcases. It’s what all the pilots and flight attendants use as well so you know you’re in good company with a TravelPro.
Keep in mind that some rentals in Europe may not have elevators & there are tons of cobblestone streets and alleyways that you will have to traverse. A bag with a strap may be a good idea if you plan to move from city to city with a lot of walking.
On most trips I like to keep my packing simple, but if my itinerary is full of activities and I need to bring a ton of clothing/accessories then I use packing cubes to help stay organized. I love keeping things separate – workout clothes, beachwear and more. The cubes allow you to squeeze so much inside of them that in the end I’m able to take more with me. Jeff loves using packing cubes for all his work trips.
What to Pack
For the Carry On
Getting to Europe from California takes around 16 hours. It’s so important to begin your trip on the right foot by preparing for the flight. I always bring the following items with me to make my trip more comfortable.
- Eye mask
- Neck Pillow or small throw/long cardigan that I can roll up to use as a pillow
- Dress in layers in case the temperature inside of the plane is not as expected (it will always be cold!)
- Compression Socks
- A refillable water bottle (or I’ll buy a bottle after I get through security )
- Disinfecting Wipes (I’ve always wiped everything down right when I get to my seat.. even before Covid)
- Hand Sanitizer
- Hand lotion
- Head phones (I love my airpods)
- A book or tablet with pre-downloaded shows/ books ( a must for all our favorite shows)
- Portable battery for my phone (always keep it charged)
- Eye drops
- Extra change of clothes in case your luggage gets lost (unfortunately I’m a pro at this now)
- Snacks for the journey (always a must for me)
Of course you need to be prepared with certain things:
- Credit Cards
In my Suitcase:
My Current Beauty Routine
- Face Wash
- Makeup Remover
- Hand Cream
- Dry Shampoo
- Hair Brush
- Hair Spray (travel size)
- Hair Clips and Pins
- Hair Curler
I’ve linked some of my favorites below:
- Lip Stick
- Lip Liner
- Eye Liner
- Eye Shadow
- Setting Spray
- Brushes & Sponges
My favorite brands linked here:
When it comes to clothing I like to consider my activities and plan to have one daytime and nighttime look while packing. I prefer dresses since they are lightweight, take up less room and I love the look. One major tip? I try to wear my bulkiest shoes on the plane to save on precious suitcase space.
- Daytime outfits
- Nighttime outfits
- Jackets/ sweater
- Purse (usually 2 in diff colors)
- Jewelry ( anything expensive should be in your carry on)
- Bathing Suit
Depending on the destination and duration of your trip these items may not seem important but may become important
- Tums, Advil, Dramamine, Eye Drops
- Workout Clothes
- Sun hat
- Laundry Bag
- Contact lenses and solution
- Cash (in your carry on)
I hope you find this helpful! Please let me know if I missed anything in the comments below :) I hope you enjoy your next trip!