Hey guys! Just wanted to pop in & share a small post featuring some of Emma’s Autumn Reading with reviews and some of our favorite shows we’ve been loving this fall.
We are ALL about the Autumn Reading & Shows life.. snuggling in cozy blankets with the fire on while reading a great book or watching a juicy show. What about you? We’re complete homebody’s at heart (we love to get out too but love the home life) so Autumn & Winter are some of our favorite seasons.
Emma’s Autumn Reading (With Reviews)
Hi guys, Emma here. The reviews below are written by me!
I am Watching You by Teresa Driscoll
I bought this book around a year ago and FINALLY got around to finishing it. The plot was great and it kept me guessing the entire way through. Synopsis: When Ella Longfield overhears two attractive young men flirting with teenage girls on a train, she thinks nothing of it—until she realizes they are fresh out of prison and her maternal instinct is put on high alert. But just as she’s decided to call for help, something stops her. The next day, she wakes up to the news that one of the girls—beautiful, green-eyed Anna Ballard—has disappeared. A year later, Anna is still missing. Ella is wracked with guilt over what she failed to do, and she’s not the only one who can’t forget. Someone is sending her threatening letters—letters that make her fear for her life. Then an anniversary appeal reveals that Anna’s friends and family might have something to hide. Anna’s best friend, Sarah, hasn’t been telling the whole truth about what really happened that night—and her parents have been keeping secrets of their own. SO GOOD! Click here to grab a copy of the book.
First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria by Eve Brown-Waite
This book came out around a decade ago but I just discovered it recently. I read this one on my iPad – and really enjoyed it. I’ve always been curious about the Peace Corps and the author really went into details about the experience. If anyone is interested in the process & adventures of living abroad in a 3rd world country, this book is for you! Synopsis: In this hilarious memoir, a pampered city girl falls head over little black heels in love with a Peace Corps poster boy and follows him— literally to the ends of the earth. From intestinal parasites to getting caught in a civil war, culture clashes to unexpected friendships, First Comes Love, then Comes Malaria is an honest and laugh-out-loud look at Eve’s misadventures as an aspiring do-gooder and her search for love and purpose, which she finds in the last place she expected. The book is interesting and funny – definitely a fun read. Click here to grab a copy of the book.
The Silent Patient – Alex Michaelides
I am so obsessed with this book! It’s so good – I read it in 2 days. Really enjoyed the psychological elements of it, and I was honestly very surprised by the main twist. One of the most popular books this year. Can’t wait to read more from this author! Synopsis: Alicia Berenson’s life is seemingly perfect. A famous painter married to an in-demand fashion photographer, she lives in a grand house with big windows overlooking a park in one of London’s most desirable areas. One evening her husband Gabriel returns home late from a fashion shoot, and Alicia shoots him five times in the face, and then never speaks another word. Alicia’s refusal to talk, or give any kind of explanation, turns a domestic tragedy into something far grander, a mystery that captures the public imagination and casts Alicia into notoriety. The price of her art skyrockets, and she, the silent patient, is hidden away from the tabloids and spotlight at the Grove, a secure forensic unit in North London. Theo Faber is a criminal psychotherapist who has waited a long time for the opportunity to work with Alicia. His determination to get her to talk and unravel the mystery of why she shot her husband takes him down a twisting path into his own motivations―a search for the truth that threatens to consume him.. I know you guys will love this one! Especially spooky for October. Click here to grab a copy of the book.
The French Girl by Lexie Elliott
Another thriller I really enjoyed – This was a great whodunnit. I was also surprised by the big twist in the end & enjoyed the buildup of the novel from beginning to end. Synopsis: Everyone has a secret…They were six university students from Oxford—friends and sometimes more than friends—spending an idyllic week together in a French farmhouse. It was supposed to be the perfect summer getaway…until they met Severine, the girl next door. But after a huge altercation on the last night of the holiday, Kate Channing knew nothing would ever be the same. There are some things you can’t forgive. And there are some people you can’t forget…like Severine, who was never seen again. A decade later, the case is reopened when Severine’s body is found behind the farmhouse. Questioned along with her friends, Kate stands to lose everything she’s worked so hard to achieve as suspicion mounts all around her. Desperate to resolve her unreliable memories and fearful she will be forever bound to the memory of the woman who still haunts her, Kate finds herself entangled within layers of deception with no one to set her free…. I think you guys will really enjoy it! Click here to grab a copy of the book.
No Exit by Taylor Adams
One of my favorite books I’ve recently read. I read it in 1 night because I HAD to find out the ending! Very thrilling and exciting.. not so much a whodunnit but more of a ‘How will she figure this one out?!’ I hope it becomes a movie. Synopsis: A brilliant, edgy thriller about four strangers, a blizzard, a kidnapped child, and a determined young woman desperate to unmask and outwit a vicious psychopath. A kidnapped little girl locked in a stranger’s van. No help for miles. What would you do? With exquisitely controlled pacing, Taylor Adams diabolically ratchets up the tension with every page. Full of terrifying twists and hairpin turns, No Exit will have you on the edge of your seat and leave you breathless. Click here to grab a copy of this book.
I love all of these books! Really enjoyed reading them in the past month. Here’s a list of books I have on my “TBR” (to be read) list:
- The Lying Game by Ruth Ware. I am currently reading this one & loving it so far! Definitely a great read (was part of Reese Witherspoon’s book club). Click here to grab a copy.
- The Secrets We Kept by Lara Prescott. This book is currently Reese’s book club book & I’m excited to pick this one up. All about Russian women spies and juicy romance. Click here to grab a copy.
- American Royals by Katharine McGee. Excited to pick this one up.. everyone on Instagram has been reading it! Click here to grab a copy.
- After The End by Clare Mackintosh. This book seems so sad but so good. I currently have it & am excited to start reading it. Click here to grab a copy.
Current Shows I’ve Watched & Loved
You all know how much I love watching a juicy show with Jeff. Here are some of our favorites currently:
- The Spy (Netflix) – Jeff and I LOVED this one! It’s a spy thriller that is a true story.. exciting all the way through. Season 1 and just came out on Netflix. We watched it in 2 days! You guys will love it. Synopsis: This drama tells the astonishing true story of Israel’s most prominent spy, Eli Cohen, who infiltrated the Syrian government in the 1960s.
- Unbelievable (Netflix) – This show from the first few minutes pulls you in. Another one based on a true story. The relationship between the 2 detectives is so interesting and I couldn’t stop binging! Synopsis: When a teen reports being raped, then recants her story, two female detectives follow evidence that could reveal the truth; based on a true story.
- MindHunter Season 2 (Netflix) – After the first season ended last year we couldn’t wait for the newest season to come out! A little dark but it gives you an insight on how detectives solve serial killer murders. Synopsis: Catching a criminal often requires the authorities to get inside the villain’s mind to figure out how he thinks. That’s the job of FBI agents Holden Ford and Bill Tench. They attempt to understand and catch serial killers by studying their damaged psyches. Along the way, the agents pioneer the development of modern serial-killer profiling.
- The Affair Season 5 (Showtime) – One of my favorite shows for years. The acting is amazing, my friends and I get together every week to watch it when the newest season comes on. This is currently the last season so binge and catch up. Synopsis: “The Affair” explores the emotional/psychological effects of two affairs. Young diner waitress Alison and her husband, rancher Cole, are struggling — personally and financially — in the wake of tragedy. Noah, a settled teacher and would-be novelist, is summering at his in-laws’ Hamptons estate with his wife, Helen, and four kids. When Noah meets Alison, they begin an affair. For her, he’s a welcome escape; for him, she’s a pretty distraction. But, the tryst eventually ends two marriages — one that was already a bit shaky, the other that was on solid ground.
Future Shows I’m Looking Forward To:
- The Politician (Netflix) – It comes out on September 27th. So excited! Gwenyth Paltrow, Jessica Lange, and tons of other actors I love are starring in it. Can’t wait! Synopsis: Payton Hobart, a wealthy student from Santa Barbara, has known since age 7 that he’s going to be president of the United States, but first he has to navigate the most treacherous political landscape of all, Saint Sebastian High School.
- The Morning Show (AppleTV+) – Brand new show coming out on the new network AppleTV+ (groan.. another subscription service!) starring Jennifer Anniston & Reese Witherspoon. Synopsis: The drama begins with Aniston’s morning show anchor Alex Levy announcing the departure of her co-host and partner of 15 years Mitch Kessler, played by Steve Carell, following mysterious allegations against him.Witherspoon plays Bradley Jackson, a field reporter who doesn’t fit “any mold,” who’s brought in to breathe some life into the ailing morning show. Alex is, of course, threatened by her presence even though Bradley claims she doesn’t want her job.
- El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Netflix) – SO EXCITED! Our whole family loved Breaking Bad when it was on (RIP Walter White) but a new movie all about Jesse Pinkman escaping and redemption is coming out on October 11th. Can’t wait.
- Looking For Alaska (Hulu) – Based on John Green’s book, this new series looks cute and I know Emma and I will definitely be watching. Synopsis: Working back from a traumatic event, the series looks at how Miles (Plummer), Alaska (Froseth), and their friends navigate the different challenges of life and the search for a place to belong.
- Catherine The Great (HBO) – Helen Mirren playing one of Russia grandest tsarina back in 1700s. Lavish and grand.. so excited to watch this one.
Hope you’ve enjoyed our reviews and picks! Let me know below if there’s anything you’re loving that’s not on this list. Happy reading & watching.
Click here to see more reading posts!