2020 is here & we are SO excited to start talking about travel again. As many of you may know.. we are a huge traveling family. I was a flight attendant for years & my sister and brother-in-law are both pilots. Emma is a jet-setter/travel hacker who visited 7 countries last year and Jeff’s job takes him all over the world! We are a constant on-the-go family and make it a main priority to explore new countries, visit favorite spots and more.
Last year we published a ’10 best places to visit in 2019 + our travel plans’ post & it was a major hit! We had an amazing year of travel and had so much fun. Click here to see that post.
Knowing that we’re a family who loves to travel, people are always asking us about our upcoming travel plans. So before getting to the list of ’10 Best’, I thought it would be great to share the locations we are planning on visiting this year. Our 2020 travel plans are not yet complete but the list below will give you an idea of what we’re up to.
- February – Jeff is going on a work trip to Ireland & London so I’ve decided to join him! (Love when I’m able to do this) I can’t wait.. it’s my first time visiting Ireland and we’re heading to Galway. Leave any comments you have on things to do there below. It will be my first time. London is always a favorite too.
- April – Emma & I are going to visit my mom in Austin, Texas for Emma’s birthday! We love going back whenever possible. We actually lived there for a couple of years.. just a mile or two from my parents.
- May – London again with Jeff but this time it’s for fun! My sister and her husband are going to see a show & we decided to hop on their flight with them using their passes. Maybe we’ll be lucky enough to sit in first class. ;)
- June – Europe? Yes please! We’re heading back to Europe with our neighbors/friends for a 2nd cruise! We had so much fun last year going on our first ever cruise that we decided to do it again. :) One caveat – that the cruise lines remain small and intimate. I loved the feel of only having 300 onboard our last ship. We may do a river cruise this time around..
- July – Mexico! Family trip to Puerto Vallarta (my first time) with Emma and her boyfriend. We are going to Punta Mita and we’re all so excited.
- September – ??? with our British friends, Carol and Nigel. A couple of years ago we met up with them in Mykonos and had a blast. We’re still trying to decide where to go this time around but at the end of the day we don’t care.. we just want to spend time catching up with them. We’ll firm everything up soon.
- December – Maui. Jeff and I have decided to head to Maui for Christmas.. just the two of us this time. Emma and Zach are making plans to head someplace adventurous and my sister and her family will also be in the middle of a renovation so they can’t get away.
- January – San Diego. Emma went to SD for a week with Zach for a work trip. They had so much fun seeing old college friends and eating at some of their favorite local spots.
- February – Costa Rica! Emma is heading to CR with Zach for a week at the very end of February. She’s so excited.. she plans to share more here on the blog about the planning & packing for that trip.
- April – Austin, Texas. This trip we’re all visiting my mom for her birthday.
- May – Kentucky! Emma is going to KY & Ohio with Zach’s family for a bat mitzvah. She’s also hoping to squeeze in a visit with other family who lives there as well.
- June – San Diego again. Emma LOVES this city and there are so many inexpensive flights from SF to SD that it’s hard to resist a weekend away.
- July – Punta Mita, MX. Puerto Vallarta is one of Emma’s favorite Mexican cities so she’s excited to see Punta Mita with us. (just 40 miles north!)
- August – ??? Emma decided that she’s going to do a solo trip abroad sometime during this month. (this time with a tour group though!) Ideas on places to go currently include Borneo, Eastern Europe, and Nordic Countries.
- December – ??? Emma will be traveling with Zach somewhere over the holidays.. they aren’t quite sure where yet but want it to be adventurous!
10 Best Places to Visit in 2020
photo via My Darling Passport
Emma has been dying to visit Scotland ever since she watched the show, Outlander. The country is so romantic and beautiful.. definitely on the top of our list. From the cities to the highlands, there is so much urban & natural beauty to be seen there. Have any of you ever been? Let us know in the comments!
2. New England in the Fall
Last October Emma & I visited Vermont during prime leaf-peeping season and we absolutely loved it. We fell in love with the East Coast again and vowed we’d return this year. Hopefully we can swing another trip but this time to Maine and Rhode Island.
photo via the Happy Jet Lagger
Personally, this is a place I would absolutely LOVE to visit. So many of my readers and followers on IG are from Brazil. I’m extremely curious about this lively country and would love to hear from you all what places would be fun to visit. I don’t know much about Brazil except for the fact that it’s filled with wonderful people, the Amazon jungle and the Iguazu Falls (one of the natural wonders of the worlds)
4. Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Emma has been to this gorgeous city on the sea once before with Zach and they talk about it to this day. They’ve convinced us to go back with them in July & head 30 miles north to Punta Mita – which looks amazing. After researching a bit more it sounds as if it’s one of the best places in the world for relaxation! Click here to learn more about Punta Mita from Forbes, who calls Punta Mita, “The Ultimate Luxury Travel Destination”. Another plus – it’s only a 3 hour flight from the U.S!
photo via Gal Meets Glam
I’ve been to the south many times – I’ve even lived in Florida, Louisiana, and Texas. For some reason.. I’ve never made it to Charleston. It’s a beautiful place I’ve been dying to visit. It has a major food scene so Jeff is already on board.. I’m all about the beautiful architecture, style, and design. So many interior designers and fashionistas are from Charleston.. I can’t wait to visit.
6. Amalfi Coast
photo via Southern Curls & Pearls
This is a place I’ve been wanting to go to for years – I’m shocked I haven’t been already. I went to Capri in the 90’s but haven’t been back since.. I’d love to explore more of this area. (Especially Positano!) If you follow Caitlin Convington from Southern Curls & Pearls – she has great travel guides for this region on her blog! (Click here to see her guides).
7. Santa Barbara, California
photo via Vagabond3
One of our all-time favorite cities in the world. I used to live in Santa Barbara and Jeff & I were married there. It’s a special place to us & we love going back again + again. I definitely need to write a travel guide about this beautiful town. It’s a quick drive from LA and so quaint. There are tons of great restaurants, shops and beautiful beaches full of gorgeous sunsets. I consider SB to be one of the best spots in all of California.
gorgeous photo via Postcards from Christine
Emma has wanted to visit Tokyo & Betsy (my sister) went with her family this summer. I fell in love with her stories and descriptions of this amazing city – and now we all can’t wait to go! There is so much to do, from eating incredible food, visiting temples, hiking Mt. Fuji, and more! Japan is pretty expensive to visit though, so be aware of that before you book your trip.
9. St. Lucia
photo via Southern Curls and Pearls
Jeff and I have wanted to visit St Lucia for years now – ever since Fredrik Eklund showcased it on his show Million Dollar Listing and on his Instagram. It’s an island & tropical paradise offering beautiful mountains, crystal blue waters and stunning villas. It looks like the ultimate getaway, and we’ve been trying to plan a trip here for years. Funny enough, Caitlin Convington has also visited St. Lucia & wrote a travel guide on it. Click here to read it!
10. Austin, Texas
photo via Dashing Darling
Emma and I are heading back to Austin in April and we’re so excited! My mom and brother live in Austin, and Jeff and Emma and I lived there for a couple of years as well. We love the city & it’s the perfect weekend getaway. Amazing food, shopping, and so more fun! The Austin City Limits Music Festival is huge. Tons of lakes and spa options as well!
So that concludes our 10 best places to visit in 2020 guide + our travel plans for this year! Where are you planning to travel to this year? There are so many amazing places to go. Please share!